Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Stroopwafel Recipe

Hugh Yeman's modified* version of…
Nederlandse Stroopwafels
From the kitchen of Mrs. Watson, in Bowie, MD
Makes about 12 pieces
Before you even start, sharpen a thin knife well.

Wafel Dough
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons water
1/2 pound unsalted butter
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
Pinch of salt
1 level tablespoon cinnamon
3 cups flour
1 egg
5+ tablespoons water
1/4 cup molasses

Mix yeast, sugar and water. Proof yeast until bubbly.

Beat butter until light, adding sugar, salt and cinnamon.
Mix in the yeast mixture, flour and egg(s) and knead or beat well.
Set in a warm place for about an hour. It will not look like it's rising much;
don't worry. Meanwhile, make the syrup (stroop).

Stroop (Syrup)
1 level tablespoon cinnamon
1 cup Karo dark syrup
7/8 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup butter

Heat cinnamon, syrup and sugar on stove and cook slowly
until thickened a bit (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat and beat in butter.
Should thicken as it cools, but still be slightly warm and thin enough to spread easily.
If it cools too much, reheat gently; if it thickens too much, add a bit of liquid.

Making the Wafels
Heat wafel iron and oil lightly only once.
Place dough in center of heated wafel iron and bake for ninety seconds.

When done, remove from iron, place flat on counter and immediately
slice wafel horizontally into two thin wafers, using the sharp fillet knife.
Spread syrup on one cut surface, reassemble pressing gently but firmly,
and trim to a uniform shape with the 3" cookie cutter.
Cool, at least slightly, flat on a rack before eating.

*This was the result of many hours of experimentation after my wife and I went
to Amsterdam in 2006. That's when I discovered stroopwafel at a street market.
I loved it so much that I got a suitcase full of it and brought it home with me.
I gave some to friends and ate the rest. When it was gone, I couldn't bear to be
without it, so I bought a pizelle iron, found some online recipes, and started
experimenting. The initial results were unsatisfying. I suspect that the difficulty
arose largely from the fact that beet sugar, the main Dutch cooking sugar, was
not readily available to me. I went through many iterations of tweaking, and
finally settled on this recipe.

No comments: