Saturday, July 11, 2009

Spy!

The game of "Spy"
as explained by my five-year-old Goddaughter, A., while playing the game with me and her brother D.
July 11, 2009

  1. We start at the corner of the yard and, when A. says "Go!" we all run over to the jugle-gym airplane.
  2. When A. says "10" we all run back over to the corner of the yard. Note that A. in no way implied that she would count to 10. She just says "10!" and off we go. It is important to pay precise attention to instructions in this game of Spy.
  3. Repeat steps 1 and 2.
  4. Now, this time when A. says "10", we must all run inside, tiptoe past A.'s sleeping daddy, and run into her room.
  5. Once safely inside the room, A. reads the rules of "Spy" from a card that, on the surface, appears to be a Barbie invitation card to "A Ballerina Princess Party". The code is obviously dense, because the list of rules was long. Some of them have left me, but "Still doing what Mommy and Daddy say" was prominent. There were some memorable bits at the end, though: we all must run back out, and D. and I must try to be the first to touch Grace*, my fiancee; and after we have done this, I must thank A.
  6. When A. says "100" (again, note that she will not count to 100) we must run out and carry out the above instructions.


Now that I have documented this fascinating game, I am ready for A. to introduce me to the next one.

*I was the first one to touch Grace. Yay! Unfortunately, in my enthusiasm, A. had to remind me to thank her.

No comments: